Friday, June 6, 2014

Discovering Our "Green Thumb"

Jessie (my roommate/teammate) and I started a garden about 2 weeks ago and the way it is growing has brought us so much childlike joy and excitement that I have to share.

Early this summer, we decided we wanted to start our own garden in the backyard of our home!  Our backyard is pretty dry, the dirt is like clay, and there are weeds everywhere, but we knew we could find a way!! After roaming around the local Lowe's for a few hours (not joking), we decided that we wanted to take on the challenge of starting from scratch with some seeds and soil. We talked to many workers who chuckled at our naivety and even discouraged us from doing it this way. They said, "There are tomato plants already grown at the front of the store, you should just plant those. You'll have better luck".  However, we finally talked to this awesome employee who gave us just the encouragement we needed. She told us to go for it. We decided to listened to her:)

Jessie and I had the time of our lives putting it together.

We were in the garage looking for a hammer and some other tools to use to try to put everything together.  I left Jessie in there while I went out back to start working. 5 minutes later, Jessie walks outside with this hysterical hat and tool belt.  We laughed so hard!!







Anyways, I CANNOT believe how much the garden has grown!!!! In 2 weeks!!!


Green beans, cucumbers, squash, and lettuce!!

We started this garden with no idea of how it would turn out.  Honestly, I think we had very little faith that anything would actually grow.  But every morning, we wake up and one of the very first things we say is, "Let's go check on the garden!!!" It has been such a joy! 

Our host family thinks it is hilarious.  I love it.  Jessie and I talk about it almost everyday at practice so now our whole team asks us how our garden is doing.  Such a fun thing to share!

With zero gardening experience, Jessie and I just took this leap of faith and decided to build it anyways.  We are always joking with our teammates now about our "green thumb".  Maybe that is how we discover what our gifts truly are and what God has created us to do/be.  You just go for it! And if it works out, keep going with it! Until all of a sudden you have a garden:)

Obviously I have a very little part in photosythesis and all of the other crazy things God is doing in these plants to make them grow.  But I built the framework, planted the seeds, and I water it everyday.  And look what God has created!! 

There are so many biblical analogies to gardening.  It's kind of funny and I could share forever.  But maybe this will inspire you to build something, plant something, water it, and see if anything grows:)

I love you.

Natalie

I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow.
1 Corinthians 3:6


Here are some other fun pictures from the week:


Waxhaw downtown summer concert tonight!!

We had an awesome welcome sign for our team dinner by the kids of the family


No comments:

Post a Comment